Prior to reporting for jury duty and for information and instructions on reporting date(s) and time(s):
See announcements below or call 601-403-2346 or 601-749-7756 for a recorded message.
NOTICE: NO PURSES OR CELL PHONES ARE ALLOWED IN THE COURTROOM.
Jurors summoned for the week of January 29, 2024, please report at 8:15 a.m. on Wednesday, January 31, 2024, to the Pearl River County Courthouse, 200 South Main Street, Poplarville, MS 39470. Please check in on the second floor of the Courthouse. Thank you for your willingness to serve as jurors for Pearl River County.
Prospective jurors are selected at random from a master list of county residents eligible to serve on a jury.
A prospective juror must:
- Be 21 years of age
- Be a qualified elector or a resident freeholder of the county for more than one year
- Be able to read and write
- Not have been convicted of an infamous crime, or the unlawful sale of intoxicating liquors within a period of five years
- Not be a common gambler or habitual drunkard
Information Regarding Jury Duty
A failure to report for jury duty may constitute contempt of court punishable by a fine or imprisonment, or both. All qualified persons shall be liable to serve as jurors unless excused by the court for:
- Illness that renders juror incapable of performing jury service
- Undue or extreme physical or financial hardship to prospective juror or a person under his/her care or supervision
- Breast-feeding mother
All requests to be excused from jury duty must be approved by the presiding judge. All requests must be submitted in writing, or emailed to the Circuit Clerk's Office.
A personal exemption from jury duty may be claimed by prospective jurors who are:
- Over 65 years of age
- Who served as a grand juror, or as a petit juror in the trial of a litigated case, within the last two years
Please contact the Circuit Clerk's Office to claim a personal exemption.
If your name or address has changed in any way, please contact the Circuit Clerk's Office.